Last year I made a cookie mix in a mason jar to give to the Big One's Teacher as a little gesture of thanks at Christmas... it was a cute little extra to go along with the gift card we gave her! However, the cookies were a one time only gift... once the mix was used that was it. So, I was looking for something that had a bit more longevity! The answer came in the form of the brilliant 1-2-3 cake in a mug mix I made earlier in the year thanks to a Pinterest find. I love this easy mix for its simplicity and relatively guilt-free treat! What better?
To make 5 gifts you will need...
- 5 x 16 oz (1 US Pint) mason jars ... I bought mine in the Dollar Store!
- 2 x box mixes of Angel Cake
- 2 x box mixes of another cake variety (I used Betty Crocker Devil's Food Chocolate cake)
- 5 x Xmas themed mugs (again from the Dollar Store)
- 5 x tablespoon measures (again from the Dollar Store)
- Ribbon in a Christmassy colour
- Adhesive labels to stick on the jar (see link below)
- 5 x brown paper gift bag
- Brown paint
- Red Paint
- Black marker
First off, make up the cake mix in a gallon sized freezer bag. See the details here. Carefully spoon the mix into the jars, shaking to settle if necessary. Close the lid carefully, and tie a tablespoon measure around the neck of the jar with the ribbon ... tie in a bow. Decorate the paper bag... we made reindeer handprints!
Label the jar with an adhesive sticky label... write the instructions on the label. You can use the printable attached here with the sticky labels below.
Put it all together in the gift bag with some shredded paper and colored tissue paper! Et voila!